Thursday, August 10, 2006

Viviat Acemdia Vivant Professores!

Apparently the randomness of my brain locked on Smith this morning, because I started humming Gaudeamus Igitur while commuting to work. Why this most impossible, at least for me, to sing tune popped in my head I will never know, but I thought I would share it with everyone.

Some interesting Wikipedia notes:
It has been known as a beer-drinking song in German and Dutch (and also United Kingdom and even Australian) universities by many generations of students. In Belgian universities, where drinking and singing is actually a common activity for students, it is one of the 'official' songs which are sung as the opening of these singing activities. The lyrics reflect a joyful embracing of the bacchanalian mayhem of life (especially life as found in fraternities and sororities) while simultaneously retaining the grim knowledge that one day we will all die. The song contains humorous and ironic references to sex and death, and many versions have appeared following efforts to bowdlerise this song for performance in public ceremonies. In private, students will typically sing ribald words.

• The Smith College Lyrics and music are in PDF form here.
The Full Set of Lyrics in latin and translated.
• University of Stuttgart performing. (MP3)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home